Department of Political Affairs
The functions of the Department are to:-
- Monitor, collect and interpret information on political and social-economic developments world-wide;
- Follow-up on developments in international organizations such as the Unites Nations, the Commonwealth. The African Union, the Non-Aligned Movement, the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC). The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), the European Union, the Arab League of Nations etc;
- Initiate the formulation of foreign policy;
- Prepare briefs pertaining to political and social-economic developments on the international scene.
- Make recommendations to Government on Malawi’s position on political and social issues in international fore;
- Prepare briefs and speeches for the Head of State, and the Minister international meetings;
- Review, from time to time, Malawi’s foreign policy with a view aligning it with prevailing developments;
- Liaise closely with Malawi’s foreign policy with a view to aligning it with prevailing developments;
- Liaise closely with Malawi’s Missions abroad, through regular submission of reports on developments in Malawi and receive reports on development in their countries of accreditation and respective regions;
- Promote and portray the image of the Malawi Government on certain issues to the international community;
- Participate the meetings of international organizations to which Malawi is a party, and other ad-hoc meetings whose agenda is of interest to the country.
- Deal with matters related to international vacancies and the identification of sustainable Malawian candidates to complete for such posts.
Objectives and Strategies
The main objective of the Department is to ensure that Malawi maintains sound relations with the global community as a framework for advancing national interests. The Department therefore, constantly provides recommendations to the Head of State, and the Minister and the rest of Government on topical political and social issue vis-à-vis Malawi’s Foreign Policy.
In order to achieve the above objective, the Department employs the following strategies:-
- Plays an active role in the formulation, coordination and implementation of Malawi’s Foreign Policy;
- Actively participating in regional and international fora;
- Servicing Malawi’s participation and membership to sub-regional, regional and global organization;
- Establishing and maintaining diplomatic contacts.
Participating in negotiations leading to entry into bilateral and multilateral agreements, especially in the areas of defence, security, peace and international borders
The Department of Political Affairs is primarily responsible for monitoring external political and social developments with a view to advising government on their implication on the international scene. Particular emphasis is placed on how these developments will impact on Malawi’s interests. The Department is headed by the Director of Political Affairs.
In order to effectively carry out its functions, the Department is divided into the following divisions/sections;-
- The Americas, Caribbeans and United Nations.
- European and Commonwealth Affairs
- Africa, Middle East and Australasia
The Department is shortly expected to restructure and have two divisions, namely a division to handle Bilateral affairs and other one to handle Multilateral affairs.